Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Buses: An effective deterrant to the rediculous notion called cycling

I haven't written about buses in such a long while, mainly due the fact that I don't ride them anymore, and I had pretty much summed up the best of the worse with my rants from a few years back...but then shit happened. Everyone knows that shit is out there with their Midas touch, turning everything they touch to shit and like a good slick shit they slip away to shit heaven before shit falls on their heads. I wish I had Mr Leahy's proficiency at shitisms.

I love bikes. The pedal kind. The total cost to run a bike over a car is insane...so in recent years I've taken to riding to work...hence the no more ranting about these ugly tubes of mostly stupid. After getting over the initial shock of using muscle power vs napping in a superbly oxygen adjusted atmosphere, just a few million O2 molecules above comatose, I began to notice a few things about my ride that I never expected. Even on cold, snowy or rainy days the total zen quality to an uninterrupted ride. The notion of zero cost, free parking and beautiful views when your not on connector roads, makes the occasional cramps and flat tire worth it...until buses are factored in.

Buses are driven by people hired from the same population that yields idiots who don't have the ability to see motorcycles, bicycles or pedestrians while driving. For the most part cars are avoidable and have the ability to brake within reasonable distances, but a bus...it'll kill you twice before you can even touch your brakes. The combination of idiot and bad brakes is a lethal cocktail to anything flesh and bone and when they simply don't respect the law...shit happens! Lucky for me I had enough sense to expect the worse and was not disappointed.

Buses have their own inlet at street corners as to not block traffic while riders board and they have a yield sign that must be respected once they turn on their turn signal. But they also have to yield to any traffic that is already in motion beside them. That "traffic" can be made up of any vehicle authorized to drive in that lane and a cyclist, like myself, can easily reach the minimum of the posted speed limit which at 60% relates to only 30kph...that morning I was easily traveling at 40kph, therefore a legal occupant of my lane. I had already crossed the intersection and was beside the back wheel of an ShiTO death tube when the turn signal lights flashed at the very moment the shit transporter pulled out. He was barely a foot into my lane when I had already reached his window as I swerved in the only direction possible...into the far left lane in my arc around and passed him. In his arrogance he decided to follow me, one foot off my back fender for the 40 feet or so it took to get over to the side again. The turd at the wheel had help to add to my already agitated self as his compadre in the BMW that had to slow down to avoid getting my dirty blood on his new ride, decided to take matters to his level and belted out a "USE THE BIKE PATH!"

Ignorance aside, that puny little guy on the bike relative to the shit monster on wheels looks a lot bigger next to your window when you are stopped at the next red light. 100 Kilograms of mountain man will change a story to "was just trying to give you some advice...sir" real quick like. I move on, my thoughts are all that's left to keep me warm as I conjure up a multitude of revenge scenarios that resemble the clapping symbols monkey as I formally introduce the two reasons for my high blood pressure face to face.

I hate buses.
The BMW was just an added spice, but I follow our cultural rule and categorically hate them too.
If I survive my next encounter...






1 comment:

  1. I think your revenge scenario is self-driving cars that put buses out of business. They will also do a much better job of leaving cyclists alive.

    ReplyDelete